Why does he need time?

My ex and I mutually broke up a month ago and both still text everyday. We act like we're dating but we don't have the title. He says he wants to take things slow and then get back together in the future.

The reason we broke up is because I felt like he was being distant for months. When I went to spend a week with him at a Church camp, he was constantly caught up doing something and we barely spent time together. He says I constantly nag and complain about him being busy and he was sick of it. He told me I needed to "take what I can get."

We had been together for a little over a year, being a long distance relationship. He used to come visit once a month and talk 30 mins a night, or an hour every other night. He hasn't came to visit since June. He says he just needs time. He wants to make sure we're not rushing anything.

QUESTION: Why does he still need time? It's been a month now. Is he just stringing me along until he finds someone else?
Why does he need time?
1
1