Does my boyfriend want to break up with me?

So I've been dating this guy for a month. The first few weeks we were dating he seemed really into me and kept saying I was beautiful and how lucky he was to have me. He seemed really genuine and he kept saying it even after we had sex so it wasn't just to get in my pants. But lately he's seemed really distant. We live in the same dorm halls so you would think I get to see him a lot but I don't. He's always with his friends and he doesn't often answer my texts. We had an argument about it when I told him he wasn't spending enough time with me and he said "I don't think I want something as intense as you", when I asked him what that meant, he just said he needed some space from time to time, which is perfectly understandable. But I feel like he doesn't make any effort to see me or spend time with me, even though when we're together, he seems happy and when I've asked him if he still likes me, he says of course he does. My friend has told me that maybe it's the rubber band theory and that he needs some space but he'll come springing back. But I'm so afraid that he won't and that he's lost interest in me or that he's just stringing me along. But if he has, why won't he break up with me and why does he say he still likes me. Maybe I just need to learn to give him some space but I just feel miserable all the time and I'm scared to talk to him about it because I really don't want to break up with him even though I'm not happy with him at the moment. I'm confused, I don't know what to do, I don't know what he's feeling.
Does my boyfriend want to break up with me?
Add Opinion