Why is he constantly changing his mind?

I've been in an on and off relationship for 4 years now. Recently he decided to break things off because he wants to focus on his career since we're about to graduate college. I can understand that but that's not the issue. I have been extremely loyal to this man. He would constantly tell me how thankful he is to have someone like me in his life. He even told me that he feels God put me here for him. But here's the problem. Things will be so great for awhile, then it's like a switch will go off in him. This is exactly why we've been on and off. He'll say that he's not happy all of sudden when days before he'll go on and on about how happy I make him. Or he'll say that the commitment I'm ready for he's just not ready for. So we'll separate and every time he'll text me somewhere down the line telling me how he realized how good I was and how he wants to do right by me. Then it'll happen again. Saying things aren't the same anymore when days before he's gushing about how much he cares about me. Let me just say, I haven't been with anyone else during the time we've been together and he's done a lot to hurt me over the years but I've told him that I'm here to love him unconditionally but he's always the one breaking it off saying this is it and then eventually coming back. I just don't understand the constant change in feelings. Can any guy explain?
Why is he constantly changing his mind?
Add Opinion