Was this a rejection and why is he keep on staring?

This guy found out i liked him, so he confronted me and told me he is not looking for a relationship right now and gave a reason. His reason was because of a girl last year that played with his heart and his friend also said it was pretty bad, so did he tell me this because he is honestly afraid to commit and wants to protect his feelings and not hurt me?

Normally, guys would straight out say upfront 'i don't like you' or 'i dont feel the same way' and say 'lets just be friends' but he didn't say any of that so?

I know he is telling me to move on, but its pretty open now i like him since he found out, and he did mention he is not looking for a relationship RIGHT NOW" so did he mean he will think about it and try to move on or right now as in for this whole year?

Also, i am 100% sure he looks at me because he is obvious, and this one time, he kept looking over at me for 10 minutes straight because i was waiting in a line with my friends
1
1