Would you consider ending things before they got too serious in fear of getting hurt/rejected/dumped?

I was seeing this guy for a month and things were getting serious. In a month he's going away for 5 weeks for a bootcamp and won't be able to talk at all. I always knew about the bootcamp but only recently did he say that we wouldn't be in contact and I was upset about it. Then a couple days later, completely out of the blue, he ends things. First he says something about not being ready for a relationship (when he was the one that wanted to be official in the first week) and something about being friends and seeing what happens when he gets back because "it wouldn't be fair on either of us". And the second time we talked I was asking about feelings (because he kept saying how much he liked me) and he said "I guess if I'm not ready than I don't have feelings anymore" which doesn't sound 100% sure. Plus I had to drag it out of him.

I see this relationship going somewhere and I don't know if maybe because things were moving quickly, maybe he's scared too get too invested in case I've changed my mind by the time he's back? And that if he ends it maybe he's hoping things will pick up later after he gets back?

The bootcamp he's going on is for army (he's not actually joining the army**) and so the 5 weeks he's gone he'll be on army camp so it's not like he'll be able to go try and pick up girls because he won't be able to, so that's not a reason for him to end things.

He always said he was happy he met me, and he liked me, and how much he liked spending time with me, and two days later his feelings dissapear?

If this were you would you consider ending things before they got too serious in fear of getting hurt/rejected/dumped?

It's been a week since we spoke, I've been trying to give him space. Should I maybe just tell him that the five weeks is nothing and that I will wait? Reassure him and put the ball in his court?
13