He would rather talk to me than hook up with me?

This guy I know is attracted to me, I think still likes me (I know that he definitely used to really like me), and kind of shy, we hooked up a couple of times a long time ago. We were both at an event again (he had messaged me before if he would get to see me there and wanted to hear about my new job) and stayed as the last people talking a bit. I invited him to a party later that night, but he didn't end up coming (and this was the last time we'll probably see each other as I'm leaving to another country). The next day he told me he doesn't regret not going to the party but really wishes we could have talked more, and if he would have come to the party we would have probably made out all night anyway. He's not a big party person at all and I'm a social butterfly all over the place at parties but I still don't understand why he wouldn't want to come to this party then. It sounds like he would rather talk to me more than hook up with me at a party. This has happened before with him, I'm so not used to that from guys, what does this mean? If you like a girl, why would you not go to a party where you know you will see her and maybe hook up with her?
He would rather talk to me than hook up with me?
Add Opinion