Why does my boyfriend not answer the phone/not respond to texts?

Anonymous
This question has two parts - and I think I already know the answer to one of them.
We have been dating for almost two years. We began dating in high school and then entered a long-distance relationship after moving to college (three hours away from each other). At the beginning of our relationship at home, we texted all the time. At the beginning of our relationship long-distance, we texted all the time. Then the texting slowly decreased on his part both when we were at home and then long-distance. It bothered me when we were in high school, but we saw each other almost every day and hung out often. It's different for me now because our only way of talking to each other is through the phone. I guess what I'm thinking is that he gets comfortable and accustomed and doesn't see the need to constantly text or call - am I correct?
I am trying to get better with this (I know we don't have to talk 24/7, because that isn't even healthy), but as a girl, my overthinking dictates me (but when it does, my coping method is thinking of all the wonderful things he has done for me/said to me).
Now this is what I don't really understand - I texted him a "Did you get the haircut?" and he never responds. It was a simple question. I just don't get it lol. I'm not gonna get on his back and blow up on him about it, because when you think about it, it's a little stupid, but I'd like to understand why he can't respond to simple texts like that. Is it just a guy thing?
1
1