Why can't guys just freaking tell you what they wanted in the first place instead of later? Does he even know what he wants or just jealous?

So a few weeks ago I asked this guy for his number and we started talking and when I asked him "what is this? What are we doing here?" He told me he didn't want to be friends with benefits and that he really liked me and wanted more. So I was acting based on the assumption he gave me. A few days ago he asks me what do I expect from whatever it was that was going on between us. He was giving me mixed signals saying I can't do a relationship but I really want to be with you so I told him I don't know because I don't even know what this is. When I asked him he's talking to other chicks n doesn't want to be more than friends with benefits... Then he asks about my friend I hungout with that night apparently someone told him I disappeared with my guy friend but he just kept asking what we did... he doesn't even have the right to be jealous if he's talking to other chicks but I can't hangout with my friend? I don't understand guys at all...
2
1