Why is my ex being nice one minute and mean the next? Should I confront him?

Anonymous
So when me and my ex broke up with was pretty much mutual (it just wasn't working out) but we both wanted to stay friends.
Anyway, we didn't talk for over a month and now we've started taking again as friends. The problem is, one minute I'll think everything is great and the next he's being really rude and ignoring me. For example, he'll text me and be really engaging and sound interested in talking to me then we'll hang out and talk for hours (and it seems like there are no hard feelings left and we're both just having fun), then he'll up and ignore me for a few days and act really dismissive and rude. Then it'll be back to him being cheerful and wanting to hang out and then back to mean...

I don't know but it's making me mad because he's acting so weird. I don't think he wants to be romantic anymore and I think it's clear that I don't either.. should I just ask him why he's being this way?
2
1