I'm too good for him?

We were friends for years but it always felt like there was something more between us. He said he felt it as well and our mutual friends kept asking when we were going to start dating. We were on the verge of dating until his ex who treated him like crap on and off came back. I've heard so many horror stories about this woman from both him and his friends that knew her. The only good thing he had to say about her was that she was great in bed. Now he's back with her, living with her, paying her bills and spoiling her rotten (he has to work two jobs to afford her) and he's talking about marrying her now. I asked him why he chose to go back to her as we were getting closer and he answered "because you're an angel. She's far from innocent and I don't feel like I'm tainting or corrupting a good girl. She's not innocent by any means and if I fuck it up and she dumps me again, I don't feel like I'm losing anything."

I've had guys tell me this on several occasions, to include platonic guy friends who I never had any interest in. Is this him being honest or is it him trying to nicely tell me "sorry, but she opened her legs and you didn't". What do you think?

I didn't have sex with him. Not because I did not want to, but I wanted him to take me on an actual date first. She has sex a lot, including with other guys while they were still dating.
I'm too good for him?
2
2