Can a serial monogamist and/or chronic cheater just change overnight?

So let me explain, there's this guy I know who's a notorious player/serial monogamist. What I mean by that is, he likes the comfort and convenience of being in a so-called "committed", long-term relationship but eventually he always gets bored with his current partner and then moves on to the next best thing. He also tends to sleep around and actively look for other other romantic prospects while he's with said partner. he's been doing this for as long as I've known him (a little over a decade). Currently, he's making a big show of seeming like a newly reformed man with his latest girlfriend. They've been together for almost 3 years, slightly longer than his average relationship span and she's ALWAYS going on about how perfect he is on social media. They also bought a house together which I thought was interesting, although I'm pretty sure their parents helped them out given that neither of them make very much money. While I can't imagine that he's honestly changed all that much (he also happens to be really manipulative and knows how to charm everyone over), I also don't understand how his girlfriend can be SO seemingly oblivious to who he really is. Or why she would go to such lengths to try and convince everyone that he's this sweet, supportive, amazing guy and not the lying, cheating, manipulator with narcissistic tendencies that I've always known him to be. Do you think it's possible that he's actually different with this new girl or is it just a matter of time before she wises up to his true personality?
5
3