What am I supposed to do for the best in this situation?

We both liked each other a few months back, he found out I liked him back but instead of admitting it back to me he stayed distant until he decided to get with my best friend. He really, really hurt me by doing that. We didn't speak for ages and then all of a sudden he decided to start speaking to me again, 2 days later they broke up. I gave him another chance thinking things could possibly be different, but he just ended up leading me on once again and then falling for someone else else. We drifted and hardly spoke. He'd choose when to talk to me and everything would be on his terms, when HE could be bothered. I text him earlier basically saying that if this is the case then we can't be friends and that I'd like him to delete my number. But then we both got super upset and angry. This is what it goes like when we drift. We both ended up apologising with him saying 'I've probably done and said things I shouldn't have'. I appreciating him acknowledging that but I feel I'm in a very awkward position. Of course I really, really want to be friends with him more than anything, but each and every time I do that he ends up leading me on and falling for someone else not long afterwards (I kind of brought his up to him) but when we aren't friends we're both upset and angry. There's no easy option and I really don't know what to do for the best. He text me asking if we will talk tomorrow but said it doesn't have to be about this. I have absolutely no idea what to do and he doesn't understand why I'm so upset.
What am I supposed to do for the best in this situation?
Add Opinion