He won't talk about ground rules but still wants to be a friend with benefits. What do I do?

In late April a guy messaged me on a dating site and then when that went well he messaged me every day on Facebook, even when I didn't respond. I didn't used to really care that he existed.

When I finally gave in and we started seeing each other things were going well and feelings started tentatively being brought up... but then he just sort of stopped texting me constantly. When I asked what was up he accused me of being needy, got unneccesarily judgmental and ghosted me for a week.

He then texted back apologizing for everything as if it were all well and good and sometimes he'll text me for days to not really say anything of importance. He still wants to have sex but won't talk about ground rules stating "I'm not actively looking for anything but if something happens that's cool".

Sometimes he'll text for days. Sometimes he'll ghost for days.

Im pretty confused. He refuses to discuss what he actually wants and when he does text it isn't usually to invite me over anyway. He just wants to talk.

What should I do? I don't actually understand what's going on and it's starting to hurt.
3
2