Does he want me back but too guarded to admit?

Ran into my ex boyfriend again, this time was quite awkward... I stopped by the store to grab a few things, I walked up to the door and I noticed a car parked alongside the building.. when I glanced into the car I noticed my ex-boyfriend sitting in the car with, I assume, the girl who he is seeing, I pulled up next to the truck very slowly I looked in his eyes, I looked at her, I looked back at him, I smiled and drove off... well to my surprise, about 10 minutes later, he calls... he asked me to come back to the store to see him... with some hesitation I then agreed to come back after I took care of some additional appointments... I ended up going back and he asked to sit in the car to talk.. I thought that he would mention something about the girl but he never did... he stared at me told me he missed me and was excited to see me and out of nowhere he grabbed me and started kissing me and being extremely affectionate he just kept staring at me... he's a very guarded person so I know that he does not express himself freely, but, at this point I am confused because I don't know why all of a sudden he is so open and it reminds me of when he and I were together.. the next day he texted me and told me that he was thinking about me and hoped that I was having a good day... two days later, he texted me asking if I wanted to pretty much finish what we started because when we met in the car, it was a passionate experience... l I responded to him by saying "you are seeing someone, can't do it"... what do you think, did I respond correctly?, does he want to come back but does not want to admit it? let me add, it appears as though he and the girl were not on very good terms she seemed to be trying to persuade him and he had a cold demeanor... something was apparently going on... thank you for your thoughts
Does he want me back but too guarded to admit?
Add Opinion