Why do some guys have trouble keeping promises?

736

Most Helpful Guy

• I know the reason I didn't keep certain promises. It was usually lack of willpower. A promise I intended to keep but didn't realize how difficult it would be, especially if it goes against my nature.

Certain promises I know I will always keep. Being loyal, honest, and loving are a part of who I am. However, for a person to fight against themselves to overcome something, that is when the promise isn't something that can be kept on the first, second, or even third declaration. It becomes an ongoing fight.

Most Helpful Girl

• People who have trouble keeping promises can rarely commit to anything long-term. They’re usually only looking out for themselves and only want to do the things that are convenient for them. They rarely go out of their way to please others, simply because they’re only interested in their own wants and needs. They like keeping their options open, the ”promise” is just a way for them to secure a situation if they find it to be most beneficial for them. The promise itself actually doesn’t mean anything, they just don’t want you to ask anyone else. If something better comes along, they’ll happily break the promise because they don’t have a need for it anymore.
    Such people make lousy friends and partners. Stay clear from them.

• And the promise can work out in their favor if they end up enjoying the benefits of the situation, because it created the illusion that they’re reliable. It’s a way to impress people.