Why do some guys have trouble keeping promises?

736

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they made promises they couldn't keep, even if they really wanted to. It's kind of like when a girl says, "I meant it when I said it". They did mean it.

When he made that promise. He felt a certain way and meant it in his heart. He truly would not do xyz and he absolutely would do abc. Then something happens. His emotions change slightly and he goes with those emotions. Then in a moment where he doesn't feel the same way as when he made that promise to you he makes a choice that goes against that promise.

Most Helpful Girl

• People who have trouble keeping promises can rarely commit to anything long-term. They’re usually only looking out for themselves and only want to do the things that are convenient for them. They rarely go out of their way to please others, simply because they’re only interested in their own wants and needs. They like keeping their options open, the ”promise” is just a way for them to secure a situation if they find it to be most beneficial for them. The promise itself actually doesn’t mean anything, they just don’t want you to ask anyone else. If something better comes along, they’ll happily break the promise because they don’t have a need for it anymore.
    Such people make lousy friends and partners. Stay clear from them.

• And the promise can work out in their favor if they end up enjoying the benefits of the situation, because it created the illusion that they’re reliable. It’s a way to impress people.