Guys, Why does he suddenly think we can be friends again?

Actually I know the answer to this question, I just don't understand why out of the blue I'm hearing from him again. We were friends for a while, lost touch then got reacquainted. I always hoped we would become something more, and it really looked like we were going to. Then his ex comes back. This woman cheated on him several times, lied to him about it, lied about him and accused him of cheating and dumped him several times for the guys she cheated with. I was never that woman. Now she's older, decides she wants to settle down and jumps back into his arms and he takes her back, and I'm relegated back to friend status. A lot of this is my fault. He led me on, was seeing her behind my back and I had to find out through a facebook post that they were back together rather than from the horse's mouth then when I called him out and pointed out how she treated him, he got pissed off at me. I stuck around for a few months hoping that he would realize what a jackass he was to me, but finally cut him off for good when I found out they got engaged. I told him I never wanted to see him or hear from him again. This was back in March. It's now November, and I logged into an old Facebook account tonight for shits and giggles, and see a friend request from him. For the sake of curiosity (and perhaps I shouldn't have done this but I'll unfriend him later), I accepted. He sends me a message, asking me if I'm okay which I took a while to respond. When I did, I responded with "I'm fine lol". Then he says "I thought you died" which I replied "nope" and left it at that. I understand that there is a %.0001 chance that he realized what a jackass he was to me, but I doubt it considering he made several posts about how wonderful things were between the two of them. My guess is that the entire thing about how happy they are is a façade and he thinks I'm going to be there once again when things go south between them. Not happening.

Why is he reaching out now?
+1 y
Mind you, I don't want him back. I'm still single and trying to meet new men, I have amazing girlfriends whom I love very much. I'm losing weight (he hasn't seen any recent pics of me so I know that's not the reason), and I'm working towards a bachelors degree, trying to get back into the navy reserve, and I'm trying to get into law enforcement. I have too much going for me right now, I don't need him anymore. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind all this and how I can handle i.
+1 y
He's now saying he contacted me because someone told him I died, but he won't tell me who.
3