Why does he keep looking at me if he doesn’t even talk to me anymore?

I saw my crush at an event last night. He’s been distant from me for months now because apparently he has personal issues right now. We used to be pretty good friends but I think feelings got involved and it complicated things. I do like him but I’m too shy to tell him.

So at this event he came with his married female friend and we both knew people there. I noticed that when I was talking to other people, he would glance at me a lot from across the room, like he’s wondering my whereabouts. Mutual friends were saying he was asking about me lately but he still never approached me. He actually just ignored me. He’s done this at previous events where he will just look at me from afar. If he’s close enough he will sometimes wave to me. It’s just all confusing to me and I don’t know how to talk to him anymore like we used to, which was quite a lot.

220

Most Helpful Guy

• Much of my answer would depend on what 'personal issues' mean, but overall, these 'staring games' are played by both sexes when they want the other to confirm that they may approach, or are welcome... or when they hope you will approach them.
    If you like him, just try saying hi. Or find a reason to talk to him - on neutral ground about neutral topic.
    And when he waves... wave back. And smile.
    If he wants his friend back, he will be glad. And if he wants more... give him a chance.

• I narrowed the possibilities of his personal issues to be either his job because he stopped talking to me the day he got his job and he kept having to switch jobs or the other possibility is me because I’m literally the only person he doesn’t talk to anymore. That’s just what I think they maybe, I don’t actually know for sure.

• I have no idea. I’m still in college and he’s out working now (we met at college when he was still attending) so probably the next time I’ll see him is the end of March when I graduate college. The event we went to last night was another grad ceremony so I think he would go to mine as well. But I could run into him on the street too because his work is a few blocks from my place

• Another idea: text him. Ask him to meet you, tell him you need his advice or need someone to talk to. See how he responds.
      Try something relatively easy, or something you know he is able and willing to talk about. Go get a coffee together.

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like he knows exactly how too keep you guessing. He gives you just enough to keep you holding on to hope everytime you're disconnecting a bit. I'd say you don't need that in your life, you don't want someone who is playing you (even if he does have some personal stuff going on). Move on. And if somehow it's meant to be, you disconnecting completely will make him change his attitude and be upfront.