Why won't she open up to me anymore?

My girlfriend and I have known each other for for 2 years, we have been dating for 10 months and she feels like she can't fully give me her heart. She has had a rough child hood to where her mother gave her up for adoption and every one that she has gotten close to has let her down. She does not like to talk about her feeling a lot of the time she feels that if it is important enough that she will tell me when the time is right. I understand that this may have a part of it. We have just moved into different towns she is only 3 hours away but we are seeing each other once every two weeks. when she wakes up during the night and she can't go to sleep she will text me just to say that she loves me...now I am a heavy sleeper but every time she sends me a text I always end up waking up a few seconds before, so I get to talk to her for a few. one of my biggest things is that she has a child with another person and he is still around he is a jerk to her all the time. Through out her pregnancy he was always telling her that it was not his and that he wanted to be there for the child but not for her, but now that the baby is born he is still doing what he always did before being a jerk to her. Now she tells me that she loves me and wants to be with me but she tells me that we can not go any further in our relationship because she can't fully give me her heart. I want to take the next step but of course she can't right now any one have any suggestions or theories.
Why won't she open up to me anymore?
Add Opinion