Why do guys wait until a girl gets attached to tell her that he’s unavailable?

I met this guy on a dating app and we’ve been talking for 3 months. During the 3 months, he would tell me one day that he really likes me and literally the next day, he’d say that I would find the right guy someday. This back and forth thing went on until we stopped talking. One day he’s saying that he wants to date me (he asked me out, but I canceled the first time, and he canceled the next two times) and the next day he’s saying that he wants to be friends. I thought that he genuinely liked me because he’d always ask me deep, personal questions. So, one day I told him that if we’re just friends, then we’re wasting our time talking to each other because I’m looking for something more, then he told me that he was sorry I felt uncomfortable getting close to an unavailable guy. However, he could’ve told me that 3 months ago when we first met.
4
1