Will someone help my clueless self?

So there is this guy I like and I'm in high school but I've never had an actual boyfriend. Mutual friends say that he likes me but he wants to take things slow. I'm perfectly okay with that I don't mind at all but I feel like he is loosing interest.
We have hung out twice and the second time I was the one grabbing and holding his hand and we talk every single day with out fault but I always text first. Some days he complements me so much (ex. you're so sweet, you are amazing, I'm so happy I met you, you are like an angel, you are the greatest) but then the next day nothing. He doesn't say anything. He once said he would take a bullet for me and then the next day again nothing.
Im very confused and like I said before I've never had an actual boyfriend so even when the obvious is smacking me in the face I'm still super clueless. He hugs me a lot and some days he hugs me super tight but other days its like he doesn't want to hug me and just does it to do it. I've asked him three times to hang out and every single time he has said "I will see" and never gets back to me unless I bring it up.
I have no idea what is going on and I really like him I just don't know if his feelings are fluctuating or are just going away.
Will someone help my clueless self?
1
1