Guys break his behavior down for me please?

Me and him had an off and on thing since we were teenagers, about 14 me and 15 him. When we were 18 and 19 we had sex. It was my first time and I believe it was his too. We were never boyfriend and girlfriend to begin with but still things didn't work out. He went about his way without a warning I went to mine, forcefully. Now I'm 22 he's 23 and he came back into my life. He says he values my friendship too much and that "you were the best" although he claims he loves his new girlfriend like he never loved anyone else. He followed me on Instagram and sent me a friend request on Facebook. When he turned 23 I sent him a happy birthday message via Instagram to which he replied by giving me his new number and asked for me to text or call him whenever. He ended up changing the number but still following me on social media and keeping up with my updates.
Why would he come back, act as if he wanted to be my friend say I was the best then tell me he never loved anyone like he loves this new girl? What does he want from me? Did he even ever loved me?
3
3