He told me he hates me?

I fell in love with a guy last year and he also liked me. However, he would always ignore me around his friends and in private he would talk. His attitude made me sad and I stopped approaching him. Later on he told me he hates me and doesn't care about me.

After that, he suddenly changed his attitude and was being courteous. Like he said hello but didn't stop for a talk and would hold the doors for me as opposed to leaving them before.

So if he hates me and doesn't care for me then why did he start acting polite? Because he was acting rude before and suddenly starts acting nice? He hasn't come and seen me so I do believe he doesn't care but then why act courteous? Even if he felt he was rude and since the summer holidays are approaching and he decided to show some courtesy, if he doesn't care then why even make a change?
He told me he hates me?
1
1