Why Does he always contact me out of no where? Is this a sign of interest?

In September of 2016 during my first year of university I met a guy in one of my classes. We sat close by one another but did not begin interacting until October of 2016. He then added me on Facebook in November of 2016 and gave me his number in January of 2017 and we would chat once in a while and have met up a few times to study for midterms and finals together. In December of 2016 via Texts he asked me if I was seeing anyone special during the winter break I then said no and I asked him why and he simply said he was curious and called me cute. Anyhow he always texts me out of nowhere in September he texted me at 12 am and proceeded to ask what classes I was taking, and then proceeded to tell me that “he missed having classes with me” and then proceeded to ask if I wanted to meetup to study with him to study during that weekend. I then rejected the offer as I had others plans but told him we could always do so at another time and he said no problem that he was down to meeting up at any time. In February out of nowhere he texted me asking if I wanted to hangout today I then said no but later this week would work. He then said ok we could meetup on Saturday to study and possibly have drinks together. I then told him that it works for me and that we could meetup then which never occured as he never contacted me. I have also caught him staring at me plenty of time when he thought I wasn't looking during one of our finals and he simply just texts me out of nowhere and we have not been in contact since February. is he being friendly? and if so how do I go about initiating interest as a friend as I'm quite an introvert ’m 21 he is 24
2
0