Why is my professor acting this way?

I was his top student and we visit often. Sometimes he initiates conversation. We talk in his office for almost 2 hours about various topics. Some of it gets pretty deep and I've been dealing with some heavy stuff, so I know he worries about me. He is professional and friendly, but I sometimes wonder if there are deeper feelings on his part that he's struggling with. He worries if I push away and asks me to keep coming to see him. So I do every 2-3 weeks and he'll either make a comment about how he likes how comfortable we are with each other or he'll express uncertainty about being in my life. Super confusing. I feel like I found a good mentor and I value this connection personally and professionally (he has admitted this in the past as well), but the conflicting messages I get from him make me feel like I'm doing something wrong. He's going to be in his office for half of the summer and told me to come see him during break and I'm debating on whether or not I should.
1 y
Just to clarify, I'm comfortable visiting with him for the most part. It's a stronger bond than most students and professors share, but I don't think we're doing anything wrong and the relationship is appropriate. I just get the sense that there's something wrong on his end and I don't know if it's because of me and he isn't being direct.
Why is my professor acting this way?
1
2