My boyfriend is very touch feely and seems to crave skin contact?

Don't get me wrong I love him. We've been dating for a little over a year... but he is very touchy feely and when he is touching me it seems like he wants to be touching skin simple as a hand under my shirt on my back or a finger in my waistband And sometimes this is fine and I dont mind it but sometimes it just seems to be constant.
Part of what makes this hard I guess is Im a Christian he is not (not atheist just not religous) so like he respects my boundaries but doesn't always know where they are or why I might have them. Like sometimes if were kissing he might try to move his hand somewhere and I dont always want him to so like I'll move my arm as to kinda subtly give him that hint cause like I don't wanna make it awkward. It seems like he picks up on the hint but will later either try it again or try to do it in a different way.
And I don't really know what to do... its just kind of been irratating and it feels like we don't talk much and when we do it just seems surface level (somedays I feel like I could almost script how our convo will go before he leaves me on read)
1
1