My boyfriend repeatedly asked me, "What do you want from me?" What did he mean and what should I have answered?

My boyfriend is thinking about moving a few hours away in a few months for career reasons. We were at dinner – this was shortly after we had almost broken up, so we were all over each other. We had decided that I had unrealistic expectations, so we would still be exclusive but treat our relationship more as friends with benefits than serious, so that I could just relax and be more present.

After his meal, he got up from his seat and came and sat beside me in the booth. He put his hand very high on my inner thigh and held my other hand in his and asked me ~4x over the next 30 minutes, "What do you want from me?"

More context: I had been caressing him and saying, "Baby, stay here. Stay with me." So I assumed he was just asking "Do you really want me to stay?" So I just answered, "I want you to stay!" Now I'm wondering if I should've told him, "I want you to propose to me one day."

HELP PLEASE!
1
1