When I try to flirt by making prolonged eye contact he always thinks i’m doing it to get back at him for staring at me. Is a smile always necessary?

So I have a crush on this guy who I always see looking at me and I thought for one i’ll hold eye contact rather than just noticing him with a blank expression on my face then looking away. so I did and we held eye contact for a while but I kept getting the giggles so obviously looked away before it seemed he’d think I was laughing at him but when I looked away he’d look away too but then continue to watch me when he thought I wasn’t aware. I asked a mutual friend we have why he does that and he admitted it’s because he thinks I dislike him and have been trying to give him a taste of his own medicine since he knows he does stare at me a lot. How can I stop this from happening because that wasn’t the case at all lol
1
0