If he likes me why didn’t he smile back to me?

this guy is always staring at me anytime he passes me and it’s usually prolonged as though he wants to say something or something and other times it just feels like he’s trying to see into my soul. He shown other signs like watching me from the corner of his eye and constantly running his hands through his hair in my presence and he usually smiles pretty widely sometimes when he sees me and today I finally got the confidence to give him a small sign of interest he, again was again staring with a blank expression on his face. At first I thought it was a negative thing because I see him sometimes smiling/laughing with his female colleagues so why would he find it so difficult to smile at me rather than staring, Its pretty intimidating. Anyway, I thought i’d hold eye contact and smile but instead I made quick eye contact, took it away then made eye contact again then gave him a smile but he didn’t smile back, he just kept staring so I quickly looked down and turned it into an awkward smile you’d give a stranger while walking your dog or something lmao. Soo it is most likely that I read it wrong and he didn’t like me in the first place?
If he likes me why didn’t he smile back to me?
Add Opinion