Is it acceptable to approach a guy I like at work in this way?

asking here as i don’t want to risk being awkward or sounding strange or have him tell everyone and make going to work embarrassing. anyway we make a lot of eye contact and he stares at me pretty frequently, however we have never spoke but he has smiled at me a few times but today seemingly avoided me and even though i find even being near him scary and intimidating i thought i’d step up and speak to him as i have nothing to lose. Would it be acceptable to strike up a conversation like “excuse me, do you know where (whatever thing/place is)” assuming he’ll answer with whenever it is i’ll then say “by the way, do you have a second. i just wanted to say i see you around a lot but never get the opportunity to speak to you since i’ve been busy and you seem really busy around here too. would I by any chance be able to get your number or leave mines with you?” lmao bare in mind we have never spoken before. i don’t wanna be too forward or embarrass myself
3
0