He stares, glances, and tries to get attention, but never speaks?

Its finally summer, and my family and I decided to go on a mini vacation. We always go on mini vacations in my grandfather's small hometown. Every day my childhood guy friend visits my grandfather, ever since my great grandmother died about 5 years ago. Now, whenever we are there, I am bound to face him everday. The problem is that for the past 3 years he has been doing the same thing. He would come visit, sit in the living room to visit my grandfather, and talk to him for about 10 min. Eventually, my grandfather would exit the living room to do something, leaving me and him on opposite sides of the room in awkward silence. During this time he would stare and glance at me while pretending to look at his phone or elsewhere. When I would catch him, he would keep contact for a while and look away. But he never says anything or tries to start a conversation. The only times I would hear anything from him is when he would laugh at something funny. One time when my grandfather held a bbq get together I was sitting on the couch watching the tv not paying attention to the door. When I finally did, I found him standing outside the door on the phone, staring at me again. We used to talk casually and joke but all that stopped when we became mid-teenagers. What happened? Why does he stare and say nothing? Why is he like this now?
1
2