Guys, Is the sex more enjoyable when you feel a bit of a connection with her? Or is all that is needed a vagina?

I have a casual relationship with a man. I am physically attracted to him, and feel a connection with him. That is important to me. I couldn't get aroused if I didn't feel a connection or chemistry in any way. But that's because I am a woman. Is this also important to (some) men? My friend says that when he was younger he didn't care at all, but as he got older, he is 34 now, it changed and now he "cannot even get it up" if there is no connection. He says he really likes me, and that that makes the sex better. But as I am not a very trusting person, and because people always told me men are bad, I'm afraid he's only saying that because that's what I like to hear. So guys, how do you feel about it?
6