'Testing' in relationships?

I was with this man for about 8 months last year. He basically ignored me (romantically) for half a year, but I still wanted to be his friend and he wanted to as well. To sum up, he rejected me.
I have to say, that It was my first real relationship with someone, and the first time I ever fell in love with someone.
I grew exhausted at some point last month, and confessed everything to him, but also I told him that I won't keep in contact with him because of they way I felt for him, but I tried to end in very good terms.
Next day he called me. And oh boy, would you believe this?
He basically confessed that he was waiting to see if I would be like his others exes. How different I turned out to be, how amazing I was for not giving up on him, that he wanted to keep seeing me and so on...
The thing is, our relationship/friendship has deteriorated, very much indeed. Also, I was quite surprised that he was 'testing' me. Do not get me wrong, as I have no prob with that since we all have our baggage and reticence, but he went quite far with it (he knows I have zero experience on that department)
So, not knowing how this whole thing of relationships work, I'll appreciate a bit of insight into this. Do you guys usually 'test'?
The man put me through a bit of a hell and I don't know now If I will be able to put up with how he wants to try things again...
Do you guys usually try this 'testing' if you've had bad experiences before?
Thanks
'Testing' in relationships?
1
1