If a guy wants to be more than just friends with a girl but she doesn't, will he start ignoring her?

This guy in my class was very friendly towards me and would even find excuses to talk to me. He would stare at me sometimes when he thought I wasn't looking. For e. g. I would ask someone a question and he would answer it. He would give his opinion even though I never asked for it.

But recently he's started acting very short, cold and formal with me. All of this happened within 2 weeks. Last week he was really friendly and nice towards me but his behaviour completely changed this week. He's still friendly with the rest of his female friends and was even joking around with them. I don't get it. Why is he acting this way only with me? I haven't done anything against him.
4
1