In love with a friend, who rejected me since he recently started a 70h/week consulting job, should I stay friends or completely cut him out?

we were friends, i thought he liked me and fell in love with him, nothing physical ever happened, we never even kissed.
we know each other from uni and graduated together, i started a job in January and helped him to prepare for an interview, he got his dream got in consulting (working from 9-24:00).
like one month after he started there i asked if he like me more, he said he likes me a lot but he is currently not lookig for a relationship. he doesn’t have any time during weekdays and hardly any time on the weekends because he wants to spend time with family, friends and in a social club.
i like him a lot and his answer hurt me so i wanted to cut contact for a while which he respects.
i miss him and i wonder: should i be his friend, wait around til he is done in consulting but leave all options in my love life open? (his masterplan is to quit in less than two years and pursue a phd., he would have time then).
one the one hand: it might pay off, maybe timing is right for him then but on the other hand i am afraid i won‘t get over him and might miss out some chances
2
0