Can "brutally honest" people be two faced?

Perhaps you know/knew someone who's never told a lie as far as you're aware. They're the brutally honest type. The "tell you sh*t to your face because no one else has the guts to tell you" type. How likely is it for that person to be also "playing" you?

To give you context, I knew a guy who was the realest person I've ever met. He didn't really seem to care what other people thought of him and if he did things, he wasn't the type to hide it. He's told me both things that hurt and that made me smile, and I'd like to think they were all true.

When he broke things off with me, he told me that he loved and cared for me dearly but also that my family and I were too much for him to handle. That made a lot of sense to me. What didn't make sense was the loads of other people saying he was "playing" or "using" me the whole time. That he never had genuine feelings for me. I heard things about this person that completely made him into someone I did not know.

What I'm trying to figure out is who to believe?
5
1