Do men find it intimidating or unattractive when a woman knows more about cars than he does?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
2d
Recently I've met a man that says he'd rather not date a woman that knows about cars because it's only something men should worry about and women shall think about things that involve inside the house.

2|5

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 134

• I don't know JACK about cars.. that being said...

My mother knows a ton about cars. I have seen her put men in their place so many times simply because they assumed she didn't know anything... They then learned she actually knew more.

Honestly, I find it attractive that a girl knows about it. I don't feel intimidated at all. I guess I'm just secure in the fact that I know nothing? Lol

1|1
    0|0
  • Subverting my ingrained stereotype factory is always good thing because sadly, I still need help. Anyone (especially a women) who can teach me something is attractive to me (for women it’s amplified because I’m ‘straight’). I also find that someone who says “I don’t know, but I want to: tell me more” is just as attractive. Only those that are disinterested in almost everything or seem passionless are unattractive.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. I think people should accept that there is always someone superior than you in a specific aspect of life. Instead of being jealous or insecure about it, it might be good to learn from them. So i would be happy to learn from a woman who knows more about cars than myself. I mean nobody is perfect. It would be so boring to be perfect.

1|2
    0|0
  • That man is a pig, and should try to find his way to the 21st century soon.

That's ridiculous. Hasn't he seen firefly? I had a HUGE thing for Kaylee. I mean that was spaceships, not cars, but still.

0|0
    0|0
  • That guy sounds like he is still living in the 1930's. Of course if you are into cars you should enjoy the hobby and do work on your own vehicles. While you are outside your SO could be inside taking care of the laundry or doing the dishes. It's not unattractive when women have hobbies and are skilled in lots of different areas.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know shit about cars except how to make 'em go fast, sweetheart.

If you're some kind of grease princess who grew up in your uncle's auto body shop or whatever, I'd consider that a plus, not a minus. Like the girlfriend from My Cousin Vinny.

0|1
    0|0
  • No guy is ever intimidated by a woman. Unless she's literally going to kick his ass. :)
    I find the use of the term remarkable from so many women. They must really think they're something.

On update...
    You got a guy with a very narrow viewpoint. Knowledge about a subject, any subject, is not to be determined by either gender. That's just stupid. NEXT!!

0|1
    1|0
  • First, I don't really care much about cars, not my thing. Its fine if its her thing.

Second, that guy you mentioned in your updates sounds like an ass that is way behind on the times.

1|0
    0|0
  • Na it's cool, cause I don't know anything about them. She can deal with it if anything comes up. It's actually a favorable trait. We can't both not know about cars.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they are then thats a self esteem issue on their part. I find it nice that a woman isn't afraid to have a passion over something that would seem masculine in the eyes of society.

1|2
    0|0
  • I mean... Only if she's a complete ass about it I suppose, but really that's more about her being a complete ass rather than being intimidated by her awesome subject knowledge!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't care. People are attracted to similarities. I don't care about cars so I would not care, nor would it make me less or more attracted to a girl. If someone is passionate about cars, then usually (there's outliers in every case) they will like of someone else is passionate about it too.

0|0
    0|0
  • That sounds pretty sexist lol

I know only the basics of car 'stuff' anyway easy fixes i learned fro youtube to avoid expensive mechanics fees, cars never really interested me though- its a tool that gets me from point a to point b, not a toy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Couldn't care less about cars. If you are interested in them good for you. If anything, all that means that you have interest in something which is always better than being a boring person without any sort of passion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I love cars. Gives us something other than "our relationship" to talk about. And I might learn something. There is ALWAYS someone smarter than you. Get used to it.

1|0
    0|0
  • There are things I can know and she doesn't. Big deal.
    There is not one person on this planet that cannot teach you something new. You can always learn something new from anyone, anywhere.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, but it's pretty unlikely a girl would know more about cars than I do. I think it's super hot when girls know stuff about cars or any other stereotypical guy stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • There's a good chance you're either lying or you're one of these women who constantly mention about how she can "outdo guys" at something that's seen as masculine. It's great you know about cars, even more than most guys - what happens is no one gives a shit. This isn't the 1950s. Plenty of women are in auto mechanic schools and have been raised by fathers who know about cars.

0|0
    1|0
  • I would happily welcome a woman who knows about cars. That dude sounds like a total sexist living in a time where only men could own land and vote.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's only unattractive if she thinks that the hideous looking cars we have now look better than 70s and earlier cars.

2|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 14

• I got quite a few compliments from other G@G members for impressing them with my unusually extensive knowledge in automobiles, motorsports, race car drivers and even racing venues. I never thought it was unusual for a woman to know an above-average deal about stuff like that.

1|1
    0|0
  • I've worked in the automotive industry for over 15 years and know more about cars than most men. I can't say that my knowledge has ever intimidated them but they do assume I don't know anything because I am a female, usually they seem more impressed than anything.

0|2
    0|0
    • 1d

what field you in? im mostly in bodyshell restoration for classic race and rally cars but ofcourse that encompasses so much more than welding and panel beating.

• Show All
    • 1d

when you see arally car come into service im the guy doing the oil change and brakes in ten minutes flat but thats the hobby side to my day job of restoration. i did build a jagerbug beetle drag car a few years back but we dont do much American stuff here

• Well, that guy sounds a tad bit misogynistic 🤷‍♀️. A sexy brain and being compassionate about something goes a long way *sips tea*😅

1|0
    0|0
    • 1d

Do you mean passionate?

• Show All
    • 1d

@Journeyman11 I am thinking more so of compassion as a trait 🤔🤔

• 19h

Well yeah, but how can you be compassionate about something? I thought being compassionate meant suffering with others and being kind to those in need, while being passionate means being excited about doing something...

• I could say that I have zero knowledge about cars but I'd rather like to say I have NEGATIVE knowledge instead lol. And I wouldn't care if my guy was the same too. I think cars are overrated.

That being said, I do feel like it is important to be able to drive and take care of it and maintain its good form, replacing tires etc things. I turn 18 next year, the minimum age to get license and I'm learning to drive now. It would be a shame if I can't drive because my dad owns three cars.

0|0
    0|1
    • 1d

Forgot to answer the real thing sorry! If I was a guy I wouldn't find it intimidating if a girl had better knowledge about cars than me, but yes if she did have a lot of knowledge, I wouldn't really call it a huge plus cause like I said, I don't really bother.

• Any 'man' who finds your breadth of knowledge in area unattractive isn't mature enough to be called a man.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't like cars and I'd prefer to not have to drive.

0|0
    0|0
  • My fiance does not find it intimidating or unattractive

0|0
    0|0
  • Only insecure men

0|1
    0|0
  • they might be wowed

0|0
    0|0
  • most men find it hot I guess

0|0
    0|0
  • Most don't

0|0
    0|0
  • Only insecure boys do

0|0
    0|0
  • If a man is intimidated because you know more than him about cars then he is a wimp.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't really know

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes