What is an incel?

The Oxford Dictionary added the word "incel" as one of the top 10 most culturally important terms of 2018. I think this definition is pretty spot-on, but was wondering about the rest of G@G. Do you agree with their definition? How do those of you who describe yourselves as "incels" feel about this definition?

Incel: noun

An incel is a member of an online community of young men who consider themselves unable to attract women sexually. Typically, they hold views that are hostile towards men and women who are sexually active
  • That is an accurate definition
  • That is not an accurate definition

320

Most Helpful Guys

• No. aka "involuntarily celibate", a person (usually male) who has a horrible personality and treats women like sexual objects and thinks his lack of a sex life comes from being "ugly" when its really just his blatant sexism and terrible attitude.

• Yes that is the definition, but the only problem is all virgins are labeled as that now and puts an even bigger and harder societal pressure on men to lose their virginity as fast as they can, both the people who created the movement and the feminists who blamed all virgins for the actions of a couple are at fault for making society worse

• People allow society to label them what they believe themselves. I am waiting until marriage to have sex and do not allow society to shame me for it (yes they do shame women too). It is your choice whether to base your self-worth on how many people you've slept with, and that is what will make you unattractive to the opposite sex

• I completely agree but societal pressures are still not nice to have, when I was younger I thought I was worthless because no women found me attractive or would even talk to me and that pressure by society made it worse until I was severely depressed, I tried to commit suicide a couple of times, but edventually I worked through the pressures and low self esteem until I was able to date like a normal human and now have a lovely girlfriend, unfortunately a lot of men can’t push past the pressure and do commit suicide or join that incel community or whatever, so these pressures worsening are very bad still

• Honestly I don't care about societal pressures. I was bullied by my entire school. People called me all kinds of names "Vampire, Medusa, Chupakabra, Witch..." and made up rumors about me like "She thinks all retarded people should be put down" or "That's the girl who drinks blood". People would taunt me all the time and throw things in my hair like salad, burritos, and the edge of a sheet of spiral notebook paper to see if it would stick. My curly red hair dubbed me nicknames like "Carrotop, Firecrotch, Poodle, and Demon Child," and my 5-foot stature a whole slew of "midget" and "munchkin" slurs

But I owned it. I pretended to cast spell on people or threatened to suck their blood. When people threw food in my hair, I chased them off, and I bit people who thought they could bully me for being short

Now women are jealous of me and men want to date me because I grew up well and am unlike anybody else, but I treat them with respect because your garbage in is garbage out

Screw society

Most Helpful Girl

• Incels are men who can't attract any women and who turns his frustration into extreme misogyny, blaming women for all his failures. They view women as some sort of alien creatures. Incels are also completely incapable of self-reflection and self-criticism. They believe in completely delusional theories about male skull structures and such, they have their own ridiculous language to categorize non-incels, and more often than not they also have bigoted opinions about stuff apart from inceldom, like racism.

Oh, and they're also ticking time bombs. Some of them went off already and took several lives. It's a community of pure hate. The thing is, I bet this started out as some sort of genuine attempt at supporting each other (because being unattractive *does* make people unhappy and that's an issue that should indeed by taken seriously), but it ended up just being a downward spiral of hateful, bitter loners who do nothing but push each other more and more into a vicious circle of hatred, bitterness, misogyny, and hopelessness. They don't support each other. They tell each other how hopeless it is and that they should give up and focus on their hatred for women and non-incel men.

Fuck them. (Not literally. Ew.)

• *who turn their frustration / *for all their failures

Ugh, apparently I couldn't decide between plural and singular...

• @Johnnie1000 While I am in favor of legalizing prostitution, this sure is neither the reason why I am, nor do I think this would solve the problem. Prostitution needs to be legalized first and foremost so it can be regulated and be safe for all participants. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be for legalizing it. Making it legal just so some frustrated loners can get some, is not a good idea. Also, the ones who do want to go to prostitutes, will do so anyway. Prostituation is huge in the US despite being mostly illegal. That never kep anyone from doing it.

Another thing is that in most of Europe prostitution is legal, and we also have these types. Like I said, I don't think that would solve the problem. Besides, it's never a long term solution to give the crying child what it wants, just so it stops crying.

But other than that I agree with you.

• Yah, I didn't mean to imply it would solve the problem. I agree with you. Groups, clubs, or whatever blaming all men and women are for crazy people. It is just as bad that women have these same feelings but are justified by women's groups that are labelled as other things but are actually men hater sites. Good Luck