Why does this new guy I am dating bring up my ex-boyfriend a lot in conversation?

I have been dating this guy for a month and everything is going well. Except one thing.
He tends to bring up my ex-boyfriend into the conversation a lot and asks me how my experience dating my ex-boyfriend was different from dating him.

I had brought up my ex-boyfriend in conversation with this new guy a couple of times in the beginning, just to say that I had been in a very emotionally abusive relationship and that it would take me a while to trust again. I only brought my ex-boyfriend up in the beginning to explain why it might take me a while to feel comfortable in a new relationship.

Now every time I meet up with him, he asks a new question about my ex-boyfriend and compares it to the new relationship. He will tell me he is glad I am with him now and not my ex.

Why does he keep bringing up my ex?

01