Men don't cry. They drink away their negative emotions at home alone. Do you think that is true?

So since men "are supposed to suppress their emotions" and "show no weaknesses" and "don't cry" they may tend to bottle up all emotions and accumulate these emotions inside only so that when no one is around they flush it all away with alcohol.
What do you think? Does this ring true or not?
(Yeah, I'm drunk tonight)

Men don't cry. They drink away their negative emotions at home alone. Do you think that is true?
  • True
    Vote A
  • True but not necessarily alone
    Vote B
  • Mostly true
    Vote C
  • False
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Girls

• Mostly true. I've met men who cry and show emotion but I feel like most men hide it especially if they are in a position of power or authority.

0|1
    0|0
  • Kinda a mix. It depends on the person. Some guys DO end up drowning their sorrows in alcohol but I've known a few fellas in the past who end up venting off to me and let out the emotions. I think its sad that some guys just keep everything bottled inside because that is more painful than letting it out.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sometimes that is true. Booze dulls the pain and at the end of the night you can fall asleep in a drunken stupor. Sad way to deal with things though.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• i find it much manlier when a guy cries and demonstrates his humanness than to have a drunkard on my hands. i don't find drunk guys manly at all. in fact, they repel me. i don't know why so many men repress their emotions. i find it sexy when a guy cries and shows his emotions. (when done in moderation. i'd probably get tired of a guy who cried all the time.)

0|2
    0|2
    • I don’t think guys who drink are drinking because it’s manly lol. Most guys drink to have a good time or to unwind at the end of a long day.

• Real men cry. My Dad grew up in times of the Soviet Union. Men weren’t supposed to “cry” and they suppressed all their feelings. My Dad has the worst anger issues on the planet, he always bottled everything up inside and now he doesn’t know how to deal with his emotions. It’s really sad.

0|4
    0|1
    • 6d

Russia and my ancestral Ukraine / Hungary borderlands do still have a " macho " culture , your post is very true , a man is to serve the Motherland according to militarized Soviet culture.

• False! Men cry. It's weak men who can't cry. Some want to cry but is too numb to actually express it in healthier ways. That's what suppression does to you. It's a curse.

0|1
    0|1
  • I think this is somewhat true. But I believe that some men cry when they need to.
    And there's nothing wrong with that. Crying is not a sign of weakness and they should be able to cry too. They're human.

0|1
    0|1
  • Strong men cry
    My guy became infinitely sexier when he talked openly about crying and cried in front of me

1|1
    0|1
  • They cry when they're alone (or don't at all) but they never show it in fonts of people.
    I doubt most would drink over it though

0|2
    0|1
  • Depends who it is of course but sure there is quite a number of men who do

0|1
    0|0
  • I know my ex husband does , he rather run a way from his problems and drink then try and fix anything !!

0|1
    0|1
  • It is true for many, but not true in general.

0|1
    0|1
  • They do

0|1
    0|1
  • I know it's true for me! 😂
    To each their own.

0|1
    0|0
  • God I miss Starcraft and Tychus :'(

0|2
    0|1

What Guys Said 43

• Men do cry.
    And, I know this is probably not a very politically correct thing to say, but when I see a man crying, in public, I know that he feels his world probably just collapsed around him. Like his parents just died, his children just died, he lost his job, etc.

Why would I think that?
    Because we live in a world that teaches men to solve their problems and not give in to moments of weakness. To be strong and stand up against obstacles and challenges that would stop lesser men. To not show weakness against the enemy.

There are many more social -and cultural - barriers against a man crying than there are for women.

So, to me, for a man to be crying in public, without a care who sees his tears, it most likely means that his world was just torn away from underneath his feet and he's REALLY hurting.

It's the same reasoning behind why, when you meet someone who cries for all the smallest reasons you can think of (paper cut, someone called them a moron, etc), over time, the tears tend to lose value when it comes to conveying their true emotional state.

0|2
    0|0
  • Like many other things, some do, some don't. Drink and being alone is probably again a factor for some rather than all. I think it depends too on how strong your network of support is. I would probably open up yo a close friend. I certainly do to my fiancee. She can tell instantly when I've got something on my mind.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never used to drink at all... like 1 drink if i went out, barely at home

I lost my dog earlier this year and started drinking to cope... now i finish work early afternoon and start drinking, not huge amounts, a couple of whiskies till i go to bed... its become routine, but i need to do it to maintain my level of happiness and relaxation... without it i just get bored.

I have autism and when i go out in social situations i found now it helps me so much to cope to a point

0|1
    0|0
  • Women go on and on about how hey love men who cry. Then the first time the guy cries they dump him.

Women don't want a wimpy man no matter how much they try to convince you they are cool with it.

It's a trap to test you to find out if you are a girly man. Don't fall into it!

Men don't cry. And girls don't want another girl. They want a MAN.

0|2
    0|0
  • I go into a room, alone, close and lock the door, and let it out privately. Nobody needs to see a grown man cry. We men do have feelings, and, truth is, we are easily hurt by those closest to us, because we open up and allow ourselves to be vulnerable to them. Wives, gf's, fiancees, lovers, family, friends... now anyone outside our inner circle... it may bother, offend or even hurt, but we don't let it show. We can't afford to let it show.

1|3
    0|0
  • I have bottled up my emotions since childhood and has only given me emotional instability, and practically destroyed my mental health

0|2
    0|1
  • I don't drink so its not me but I don't cry either...
    What's up with you anyway?

0|2
    0|0
    • Depression have hit me hard again and again recently. Just like that. With a snap of fingers.

• Show All
    • Yeah, well, thanks for that young doctor.
      It's not my first time having depression and not even my tenth time. I know how to deal with this but doing so outside things do aid me in these storms.

I liked Trazodone but it's difficult getting it without bringing a prescription to the pharmacy. At least where i am.
      Then there's alcohol. It's accessible and relatively affordable. It flushes my negative emotions down. I don't want to stay sober during these times. At this point i prefer other types of pain (be it even physical) than internal to distract me from depression. That's how i work.

• I only need to get over these emotions effectively. The problems, that i have will be solved in a long time definitely. It ain't like I'm starving or homeless. I don't drink alcohol in hopes of making problems go away other than my strong emotions and depression. So far i can say it works.

• The idea that men are emotionally defective because of not expressing emotion the same as women is what I call "The Levant Fallacy." That men express emotions differently than women does not mean that we do not express emotions at all.

1|2
    0|0
    • 7d

Very interesting but how do you express your emotions then?
      I remember I couldn't help crying in front of my boss once for something related to work but not to him. I wasn't sure what was going on in his mind but it looked like he wasn't able to look at me and he also seemed to be angry with the person and situation that caused my tears.

• Recently was the case with me. Gonna drink some more this evening too.

0|1
    0|0
  • First part is generally true, second part is generally not. Most MEN do MANly things with their MANfriends to mask their sorrows, like hunting, watching/playing sports, working on their house, driving big cars, going to pubs, etc.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't think men suppress their feelings.
    Most men genuinely don't need to cry, it probably has something to do with the different hormonal structure.
    I don't buy the theory that men cover their emotions.

0|2
    0|0
  • When I feel shitty, I remind myself that nobody will save me, that it's only by my own strength that I can continue on.

It's up to you to master your emotions, to press through whatever troubles you with an iron will.

0|2
    0|0
  • Men just don't need to and don't enjoy sharing their feelings (or talking) as much as women. There's no conscious suppression. We aren't the same as women and thats OK. Crying doesn't solve problems, I don't see the point in it and don't have the urge unless like a close relative dies or something

0|1
    0|0
  • We men are also raised by mothers who are filled with love for their children. Emotionally, some men can be deeper than women, but they don't show it.

Last time I cried was about 3 years ago because my ex cheated on me but I was way too serious. It messed me up real bad. I cried every night for 1-2 months. It took me over an year to get over her. Now that I am over her, I have serious trust issues.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ya its better to keep it bottled up dude. The last time i showed my emotions by the only girlfriend I've ever had. So I'd recommend just pushing that shit down. In the end it brings less pain.

0|2
    0|0
    • 6d

The last time i showed m, y emotions i got called pathetic by the only girlfriend I've ever had.*

• I don’t do that, I just cry. I don’t care about suppressing my emotions to look more manly or tough. I’m secure enough in myself as a man to not care about stuff like that all the time when it’s not necessary. Now, sometimes, in certain situations, you have to be a strong person and set an example for people looking at you, so they can be strong too. For example, Jordan Peterson, clinical psychologist and famous public intellectual, says “be the strongest person at your father’s funeral.” Be someone that people can rely on when they’re emotionally distraught. Sometimes you have to be tough for those around you that you care about. If it’s not a situation such as this, if crying comes naturally then I don’t suppress it but just let it out. For example, when my dog was dying at the vet a few weeks ago, I cried then and there with my mother in front of the vet without any care in the world about how I looked or how unmanly I looked as well. It was a natural thing for me to do.

0|1
    0|0
  • That’s how alcoholics manage. I wouldn’t say it’s a man thing.

0|2
    0|0
  • I drink until I run out of booze than I cry because then I finaly have a fucking good reason to.

0|4
    0|0
  • It's true for some men, certainly. I've had gone through that period myself, but now I have a much healthier attitude towards drinking.

I think the stereotype of the gruff, depressed, unshaven man with messy hair and clothes drinking in a bar alone is attractive to people. It's "cool" and gives the character a bit of edge without being a pathetic, over the top goth who's mummy never loved them (kylo ren).

So yes, it most certainly probably is true for some guys, but I think it's mostly just a character "trait" I guess used in games and movies to give their a character a bit of edge and help give them some development.

0|1
    0|1
  • I drink with my boys, but when my dogs die I shed a few tears, in private, then pour one out for them. Gotta keep moving. Sadness is a sandtrap to hell.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't cry and I don't drink. I get where you are coming from though and there is some truth in it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I disagree
    I used to drink in public to suppress my emotions

0|1
    0|0
  • Here we go. Society disdains and frowns upon boys and men who cry (at all). Even though men and woman cry an equal amount (naturally). Men aren't these stone cold terminators. We just sift through life and take all the bashing. In comparison woman are almost expected to cry at least twice a week and show some form of emotional weakness? Not even to sure on that part. All i know for sure is that crying is okay, i mean, if you want to cry don't be afraid to. Don't be a softy who always cries, but at least understand that as an individual you have the right to act upon your emotions. As a final note, crying is essential to draining out negativity stuck in your mind like a parasite. Don't be afraid to express your emotions in a safe manner.

0|2
    0|0
  • Ay :D

0|1
    0|0
  • Not me, I have a great network of friends and will always turn to them as they would to me! x

0|1
    0|0
  • They don't cry or drink away their problems, they are driven to their breaking point by their complete inability to rid themselves of their pain.

0|1
    0|0
  • Even when I’m completely stressed and can’t find a way to cope with all this almost crying feeling I still don’t drink or do any drugs

0|1
    0|0
  • Definitely false.
    Just that. Not much else.
    It's just not true.

0|2
    0|0
  • It was both then it was only the alcohol left so I would say its true

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah there are guys that do that.

I cry and I don't drink alcohol at all.