Flirting when you don’t have a crush?

A guy I work with flirted with me the other day, he made a comment which was flirty & I reacted by laughing back in a flirty way. A few days later he sent me a WhatsApp saying hope I didn’t mind him flirting but not to think he was interested, he was just flirting in a harmless way.

I said yeah sure it was fine.

But it got me thinking. So guys, why do you flirt with a girl if you have no crush on her?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• Its good practice and sometimes it just naturally comes out when having a good convo

Most Helpful Girl

• The definition of flirting according to Merriam-Webster is

"to behave amorously without serious intent" while the urban dictionary states that flirting is

"A person who is innocently overly friendly, especially the type of friendliness that is interpreted as seduction"

So, one should think that this type of contact should be innocent. However, I have asked many guys and girls about their definition of flirting and most of them (80% I would guess) tell me that the final goal of a flirt is to have a more intimate relation with the person they are flirting with.

In your case, I am not so sure that this flirt was really so innocent as what he made you believe. That would put him into the 10-20% of the people that have no "bad" intentions.

Mainly at your age where the sexual hormones, both in men and women are just slightly off peak, I would be cautious about his intentions. If you are not serious about going into a relation then you can just leave it at that, otherwise, it is up to you to follow-up on his approach

• That was an interesting read. Thank you

• You are welcome but remember, this is solely my opinion and those of the people I talked to. By no means that represents the entire male way of defining the term flirting.

Personally, I would adhere to the same definition I gave from my own experience, but I cannot speak for the others which may have a totally different point of view.