Why do guys behave like they want to date you but don't really want to make it official?

So my ex and I broke up about 19 months ago. We stop talking because we both started dating other people. However in 2018 we were hooking up a couple of times, talking, trying to be friends. Therefore during that time he hurt me a lot because he kept going back with his ex and ignoring me. I know I am not in love with him anymore, but I do still somewhat have feelings for him and we also have great sex chemistry. In December we started talking again after he ghost me for three months. He says he doesn't want a girlfriend and that he doesn't like me "that way". But that he sees a good friend in me and that he likes talking to me. We did hook up once a couple of days ago and we talk everyday. He sends me good morning messages and calls me, keeps me up to date with the things he does, such as work, career, school, family, other activities. Sometimes when we are talking about the future somehow he manages to put me in his future. Thats why I always ask him if he really doesn't have feelings for me and he says he doesn't, that he doesn't want a girlfriend right now because he is worries about other things in his life. Im moving to another state in August and before that I will be traveling for two months so is not that I want him to date me since I know it won't really work out. However, I am concern about his feelings, like are all guys in denial of what they feel? or am I just reading to much into? Why does he behave like he wants to be my boyfriend but doesn't really say so?
PS: He has always been the one to reach out to me whenever we stop talking.
1
1