How do I politely tell this guy I'm not comfortable conversing via text?

This guy invited me for lunch. Now the thing is, I don't mind going as it's just lunch.

However if I go he could show his friends and it would leave room for doubt as to whether it was a date etc.

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• You tell him politely. There is no easy way of going about it. It's lunch. It's not a date. If it's a date, he should tell you. I don't know what is wrong with people and adults anymore with communicating. Be direct with him. if yous so shy and scared, maybe not communicate with people you don't trust and act like an adult with.

0|0
    0|0
  • he texts, you say... id rather talk in person im not a big texter

on the other hand, you seem like you are way overthinking this. If you are concerned with what people will think then seems like texting is the best way to go cuz there can be no doubt about whats going on?

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• No, it's not 'just lunch', it's a date, but you can call it anything you want.
    You just politely say to call you instead of texting.
    What does having lunch have to do with texting?

And finally, don't do lunch if you're not interested in the guy - it's just leading him on.

2|2
    0|0
  • you seem intimidated by a simple lunch invite... clearly he should by himself and enjoy the company of like minded people... as for you, consider eating in your cubicle or where it is you feel safe and precious

0|3
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Wtf? What exactly is the issue here? You want to have lunch with him so go have lunch with him.

Are you scared of him showing his friends your text msgs? Guys rarely do that but you know he could in theory tell them about your telephone calls too...

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh god just go to lunch. Wow, super exciting, he could show them you had lunch. What then? Either they do nothing and nothing happens, or they ask you and you can clarify it was just lunch

1|1
    0|0
  • Is it an affair? Or are you dating someone else and don’t want them to find out because texts leave a trail if that’s the case just be straight up but if you just don’t like him like that don’t go to lunch or just stop messaging him he will get the hint

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be honest, talk your mind! And I don’t get the text question.. how did it became a lunch/date question with no texting involved? 🤔 anyway, say what you gotta say girl! The world won’t end! 😂✌️

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you married or in a relationship and because of that you don't want it to be mistaken for a date?
    If that is so, first of all you have to sort things out with your SO.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Hi! I want to politely tell you I'm not comfortable conversing via text."
    Ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaa!

2|1
    0|0
  • Ask if you could bring a friend or coworker along and see how he responds.

0|0
    0|1
  • Hi dear, i seriously don't like texting or don't text much, so don't feel offended if i don't reply

Okay?

0|0
    0|0
  • Just tell him you'll talk when you meet for lunch. It's just lunch how is anybody going to take that the wrong way?

0|0
    0|0
  • So call him and tell him you'll go over the phone (it's unlikely he records his calls to share with friends)

0|1
    0|0
  • Tell him. “Hey can we continue this conversation and go grab a bite to eat?”

0|0
    0|0
  • "Sorry, I really don't like texting; contact me some other way"

0|1
    0|0
  • I tell people I like to talk on the phone because texting is elusive

0|0
    0|0
  • Is flirting with you over texts or giving some sort of signals

0|0
    0|0
  • So what exactly do you want?

1|2
    0|0
    • I'd rather talk to him in person

• Show All
    • Is it okay for me to briefly tell you over message?

• You'll have to send me a follow request first.

• He could show his friends what?

0|1
    0|0
  • You say:
    I'm not comfortable conversing via text

2|3
    0|0
  • Omg you're ridiculous

2|1
    1|0
  • Just tell him

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're that neurotic, don't bother.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him personally.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just tell him you are occupied with other works

0|0
    0|0
  • Pay for yourself. That makes it not-a-date.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t see how you’re changing whether there’s “room” or not.

Just say you’re not into texting.

0|0
    0|0
  • What does your question have to do with lunch or going as friends? Makes no sense...

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes