Would you be turned off if a woman was more educated/successful than you?

I have to go to college and grad school, and likely at top-tier universities (ideally Georgetown for undergrad and Georgetown again or Yale for law school), to stand out in my chosen field. Guys, would you be discouraged or intimidated if a girl was more educated or successful, from a traditional standpoint, than you? I want to see if this will reduce my dating pool to people at or above my level of education or job success.

776

Most Helpful Guys

• I don’t care so long as she can sort of keep up with me mentally, hopefully challenge me from time to time, and isn’t boring. Law isn’t really the most intellectually challenging field. There is a lot of stale repetition in most areas of law. It can provide a solid career, but it’s kind of an anal retentive monotony with small modifications here and there for different accounts. On top of that it tends to be very demanding of your time and stressful. You work long hours doing shit work just to earn clout in your firm. I suppose there is more variation in litigation or advocacy but ethics might make you undesirable there. All in all having an attorney as a partner could just be bad for the manipulation factor alone. A Ph. D in general though isn’t something that would dissuade me from dating a girl. For example a veterinarian, nurse practitioner, biomedical research scientist, or pharmacist would be desirable to me.

• Not at all. Why would I be intimidated by an educated/successful woman? Even for guys that don't like that a woman makes more than them I don't think intimidated is the right word. They are not afraid of her. They just feel bad about themselves, she makes them feel less not scared.

This of course, aplies to guys that have really fragil egos. Your dating pool will have less of them, but more of the guys that want a acomplished woman for them. I speak for myself I woundn't date a girl that had no aspirations and goals in life and expexted me to pay for everything. I don't cared if she makes more than me or not. I have my job and my money I am not going to feel bad if she makes more than me. Which guys do you want more? Guys with no aspirations or acomplished men?

So don't worry your dating pool will recieve an upgrade if anything.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know, I suppose it depends on the man? My boyfriend is honestly my biggest supporter. He isn't turned off by my successes and etc. If anything it's the opposite. I will say at the end of the day though, when I come home he's still lthe man of the house kind of thing. I can't be with someone who isn't dominant. I have to be like that in my external life. At home I want to be caring, nurturing me. And he allows that for me. And we support one another however we can.

I'd say find someone that's a balance like that for you. Yes your pool will look a little small but if you're an intelligent woman and you care about your choices in life. It was already kinda small. But it's also big enough to find good guys that aren't intimidated. A good guy doesn't reay need to bring in all the bank to be a man. But that's just my thoughts, everyone's different.