Men, why do you lead women on... only to not want a relationship?

I have been friends with a guy for 7 months. We were never physically intimate... but we talked everyday, he was vulnerable with me, slept on the phone together, he would compliment me... basically he was there for me every step of the way through thick and thin. We know each other very well... we called each other “twins”. He seemed interested. We finally ended up confessing our feelings for one another about a month ago and he said he really liked me and would engage in a long distance relationship with me because I’m worth it (he comes to my city all the time so distance wasn’t an issue). Unfortunately, this guy attracts a lot of female attention and I know he entertains other females... so I decided to approach him about it because I felt as if I was just a number (his social media is very telling). Long story short, he completely flipped the script and told me he’s not ready for a relationship because he “ain’t shit” and that if we got together it would lead to heartbreak. He even told me the timing was wrong because there were girls around... but he “damn near loves me”. I tried to maintain our friendship even after all of this and he was still flirting with me and leading me on... he even said, “we’re in this too deep, you’re my baby. I’m going to do better for you.” Two weeks ago, I became fed up and decided I needed a break to heal my heart and during the time of no contact , he told me he really missed me. I thought that if I took time out to get over things, we could go back to being friends but yesterday I cut him off. He reached out to me told me how beautiful I was, told me he misses me and tried to work things out. He practically begged me to remain friends with him. He told me he cares about me a lot even though we aren’t together but he’s saving me from him
12 d ago
. I don’t understand what he could possibly want from me. He doesn’t like me because he doesn’t want a relationship with me... yet talks to me like he’s interested and wants to string me along as his friend (he had reached out three time since no contact and told me each time he misses me and still wants to be friends). I ended things because I cannot be treated as an option but I miss him so much. Why would he do all of this to not want me?
12 d ago
This entire thing has me confused and hurt... like what could he want from me if he doesn’t want me ya know? Was I wrong for cutting him off?

421

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't know. I'm marrying my girl. I guess it is part of the culture that thinks hook ups and all the sex you want and then if you feel like it you might settle down at 30 after having 10-35 sex partners.

If guys don't have to marry the girl they like to have sex than why have a relationship. The goal then turns to have sex with as many different girls as you can. Hook ups and cheap sex everywhere. Why settle on one girl.

That is just a sign of the times with the state of our culture and the birth control pill from the 60's and the sexual revolution.

• Make him understand how you feel about him, and if he rejects the idea of a relationship tell him you can't talk to him anymore for self healing reasons or whatever.

• 8 d ago

I have trust me... but he doesn’t seem to understand and keeps coming back. I just don’t understand that if you don’t want to be in a relationship with me, why do all of this?

• 8 d ago

He was a great friend to me and I don’t want to lose him tbh... but I love him and want to be in a relationship with him... and being him friend makes me fall deeper.

• 8 d ago

Well that is your choice, dig deeper and hope for the best that may never come, or rip the band aid off and get rid of the stress eventually.

Most Helpful Girl

• Same reason women do.
    Some people are just arseholes simply.
    So live and learn, ALWAYS make sure you're both on the same page looking for the same thing.