Guys, what have you found to be the most helpful thing your girlfriend could offer if being diagnosed w/ a serious illness?

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer. He is currently undergoing treatment and I have reason to believe that he has a good chance of pulling through this. However it is of course still very scary. Currently he lives on another state than I do and we are used to seeing each other one week out of the month. Since his diagnosis and beginning treatment he has been much more distant from me. He checks in to say he loves me and let's me know when he goes in for treatment but often says he will talk to me about it later and then I dont hear from him for days once it's no longer a fresh topic of conversation, joke he just doesn't want to talk about his illness with me except to let me know here and there what's going on.
I just want to know what I can do to be most supportive and make him feel like he has me there to help him. get this. I guess in part my motivation is a bit selfish now I hear myself speaking, but I want him to look back on this time down the road and think of me as having been largely absent as I want to be his partner and someone he feels he can lean on.
2 mo
Correction: I meant I DONT want him to look back at this difficult time in his life one day and think of me as having been absent from it.
1
1