He initiates texts but then after a bit drops off in the convo and doesn’t respond?

Background: he’s liked me for months, I just got out of a two year relationship two months ago from ex cheating. We talked a lot after, told each other our feelings have a great connection, but decided on bad timing mainly because of me needing to repair myself and moving. We both wanted to leave the door open in the future. We still hang out a lot when I’m in town and I know he definitely likes me through his actions. Our convos used to end with him us saying goodnight but now it just drops off. He initiates to see how I’m doing with grad school or sends me a meme a few times a week but convos don’t last as long as they did so I feel like he’s trying to give me space or just doesn’t care? Am I overthinking things? I really do like him but the timing is just so off.
2
1