What does it mean when a guy stares at you and doesn't look away when you look at him?

My guy friend has been staring at me a lot since the last few weeks but he always looks away when I catch him and he mostly stares when he thinks I'm not looking. Yesterday, however, when I came to class he couldn't take his eyes off of me and kept staring at me with a frozen expression then gave me a once over.

Later during class, we had eye contact several times for prolonged periods and he didn't look away. I was the one who kept breaking the eye contact and looking down. What happened suddenly? How come he didn't look away yesterday? The same thing happened today. He again kept staring at me and didn't look away, I was the one who kept looking down.

Things have become very awkward between us since this whole staring thing. There's this strange tension between us
1
0