Are some guys really not texters? What does the behavior in the paragraph below mean?

This new guy made it obvious he was interested in me. He gave me compliments, seemed to enjoy texting, hinted at a potential hangout, and looked at me in a way that made it clear he liked me. Now, he still stares from across the room, smiles if I smile at him, but he does not text me. He didn’t ghost on me thankfully. I do remember one day when he said he’d talk to me later, and I said u 2. When he didn’t text me, I didn’t want to text him. I was confused. The next time I saw him in person, we talked and it was nice. We said we would text each other again and he said “hopefully this time” (with a smile). That day, we did text and it was fun once again. I ended the conversation first since it was getting late and he replied. Then I gave his message a thumbs up. From that day, which was the beginning of last week, he just stares at me in class from a distance. He hasn’t texted me, but he did talk to me once after class (2 days ago) and smiled today when I smiled at him. I think* I seem interested in him from the outside, but maybe he thinks I’m not since I haven’t complimented him. I don't know. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he is very handsome, stylish, and athletic, so maybe he’s used to girls complimenting him when they’re interested, so I seem uninterested? I don't know. Guys who like girls to text first? Why? Is he just not a texter? What do you think is going through his mind right now?
3