I either misread my crush's signals or messed up and ruined a potential relationship? What went wrong and what should I do differently in the future?

rkuchiki123
Last semester I became friendly with this guy. Things were chill until he started acting nervous/awkward around me. He seemed interested so asked him out for coffee but it ended up being uncomfortable cuz it felt like he didn't want to be there. I thought I misinterpreted. But then, this semester he started coming up to me a lot to talk + asking questions to keep the convo going. He showed interest in my interests and showed up to places I'm at a lot. One time at an event, he sat next to me & tried playing footsies with me while smiling at me. Id also still catch him looking at me a lot & when he says anything he looks at me. I felt he must be interested, but he's the type to never make the first move. I was also tired of guessing so I messaged him asking if we could talk in-person. When we met up, I asked him if he liked me. Before I could add that if he was we should go on a date, he said quickly "no i see you as a friend, sorry if I was giving off vibes, thanks for asking." He responded so fast and calmly (no expression, calm voice, intense eye contact) that it threw me off. I thought he saw the question coming since he didn't seem surprised by it, but then he messaged me apologizing for it "coming out bad" because he was "taken aback." I said it was fine and said he didn't seem shocked. Never opened my message. Then I bumped into him and asked if we could talk again, saying that I think he's cute/funny/sweet, so if he was interested, I'd be down for a date, but since he's not I'd like for us to be friends. He said he wasn't looking for anything but was flattered and agreed there would be no awkwardness, but his expression/tone was again neutral so I don't know what he was really thinking.

I've been looking back at it all and wondering if I really did misread him, or he lied (but then again, wouldn't he say he liked me once I made it clear I was interested? Or could he still lie?), or I freaked him out by being so direct? I really can't tell.
3
0