Are inexperienced guys afraid to talk to girls they’re interested in?

Anonymous
I go to a small university, and this guy and I have had the same classes since last year. Anyway, I started noticing him staring at me a few semesters ago, and I thought he was attractive, but I didn’t really pay him any attention. Now, I’m actually interested in him and we’ve talked a few times. I ended up asking his friend if he was interested in anyone, and his friend told me, “he’s not too sure, but he definitely thinks you’re cool and nice. He’s very shy, so you’ll have to hangout with him more.” A few minutes later (literally) he asked me to lunch. We had lunch the next day and it went well, he talked a lot for a shy guy. But the thing is, he doesn’t initiate through text/Snapchat (w/very few exceptions). I’m the main one texting first/asking questions. *We’re on spring break currently, so we can’t hangout b/c we live in different states* I feel like since he rarely initiates conversations, nor asks me questions, that he’s not interested. I know he’s reserved and inexperienced, but he knows I’m interested in him, so how shy can he be?
5
0